This is a popular course and very suitable for residents and visitors alike and is fully accepted locally and internationally for recreational boat usage as well as for those driving tenders in the yacht industry
During the course you will learn how to launch and recover the boat, what safety equipment is carried and how to use it. You will learn basic boat manoeuvres including starting and stopping, how to use a kill cord, leaving and coming alongside and securing to a buoy.
You will also go through some theory, covering navigation who gives way to whom, rope work and awareness of other water users.
During the course you will cover launching and recovery, including problem slipways, basic boat handling and high speed manoeuvering.
Other aspects of the course include a basic introduction to charts and passage planning, pilotage and weather.
Other courses to consider are navigation , VHF Radio and maintenance courses particularly for own boat users
The RYA Powerboat Level 2 course is one of the most useful and versatile of our courses for the following reasons
1. It will help you, passengers and other users to become safer on the water
2. Teaches you practical skills plus the basics of navigation, safety, rules of the road and much more
3. It is accepted by ADOMS in Antigua & Barbuda as meeting the requirements of the Small Craft [Control] Regulations 2017. In short you now need a license to drive a pleasure craft by law in Antigua & Barbuda
4. It is accepted internationally and for a small fee you can apply to the RYA for the ICC, International Certificate of Competence which is also a very useful international leisure license
5. It is also accepted as a professional qualification and is sought by many people working on super yachts in order to be able to drive the tenders and support vessels. Not only that, it forms the basis for the Boatmaster 3 course for inshore small boat professionals here in the Caribbean
6. You can arrange for the course on your own or Ondeck’s vessel
7. It is 2 days and we can offer flexibility on dates during the week or weekends
8. Excellent instructors who are informative and patient
9. A good base course that can be followed up with more in depth driving, maintenance or navigation skills courses.
|Duration:||2 Days||No. Students to Instructor:||3:1|
|Previous Experience:||None||Minimum Age:||12 – students under 16 will be given an endorsed certificate|
|Locations:||Antigua||Dates:||This course is run all year round|
We also run the course in Antigua On Demand – Individual places available upon request at $550 per person